1. When do we collect personal information?
We collect your personal information when you:
- Register to adopt;
- Register to foster
- Register to Volunteer
- Book any kind of appointment with us or book to attend an event, for example Charity fun days
- Engage with us on social media;
- Adopt A dog from us;
- Contact us by any means with questions about a dog or to raise a complaint;
- Ask one of our colleagues to email you information about a dog or service;
- Enter Online Fundraisers, eg Auctions, prize draws or competitions;
- Have given a third party permission to share the personal information they hold about you with us;
- Phone us, we sometimes record phone conversations for record or training purposes;
- When you surrender a dog to us
2. What personal information do we collect and why?
The personal information that we collect about you broadly falls into the following categories:
Information that you provide voluntarily
When you contact us, whether that be
to volunteer, adopt, surrender a dog, or take part in purchasing items via
online fundraisers, you will be asked for some essential information including
your title, first name, surname, postal address, email address, telephone,
details of your pet and, when applying to adopt we will ask for information
such as your living circumstances, work, landlords information. Sometimes we
will take Bank details, when paying for bills e.g. reimbursing you for vet
bills for dogs in foster homes, refunding payments for items purchased. We
never take bank details to take money out of your account.
3. Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources, but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
4. Who do we share your personal information with?
We may disclose your personal information to the following categories of recipients:
- to other charities
- to organisations who deal with organising homechecks
- to individual volunteers who will carry out your homecheck
- to individual volunteers who collect dogs from their owners
- to individual volunteers who organise posting of purchased items
- to any competent law enforcement body, regulatory, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (i) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (ii) to exercise, establish or defend our legal rights or apply our adoption terms and conditions, or (iii) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person;
- to any other person with your consent to the disclosure.
Where we share your personal information with third party service providers and partners we apply a policy to ensure your personal information is safe and in order to protect your privacy. Our policy requires:
- We provide only the information they need to perform their specific services.
- They may only use your data for the purposes we specify in our contract with them.
- We work closely with them to ensure that your privacy is respected and protected at all times.
- If we stop using their services, any of your personal information held by them will either be deleted or rendered anonymous (subject to applicable law).
If you have any questions about the third parties we share your personal information with, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only (i) where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you, (ii) where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms, or (iii) where we have your consent to do so. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect personal information from you or may otherwise need the personal information to protect your vital interests or those of another person.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your personal information).
Similarly, if we collect and use your personal information in reliance on our legitimate interests (or those of any third party), we will make clear to you at the relevant time what those legitimate interests are.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information, please email email@example.com
6. How do we keep your personal information secure
We use appropriate technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information that we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to and/or through our Websites and Apps; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
7. Data retention
We retain personal information we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate charity need to do so (for example, to provide you with a service you have requested or to comply with applicable legal, tax or accounting requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
8. Your data protection rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by contacting us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- In addition, you can object to processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. Again, you can exercise these rights by contacting us via email@example.com
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
9. Contacting the regulator
If you feel that your personal information has not been handled correctly, or you are unhappy with our response to any requests you have made to us regarding the use of your personal information, you have the right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office. You can contact them by calling 0303 123 1113 or go online to www.ico.org.uk/concerns (opens in a new window; please note we cannot be responsible for the content of external websites).
11. How to contact us
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, please contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org